Endurance and Conditioning
This is a 12 week programme that concentrates on base endurance, progressing to interval workouts to build your lactate threshold and aerobic capacity and longer tempo rides so that you can go faster for longer. Each session has been designed using best in class techniques from industry leaders and research academics
We also include exercises that build cyclist specific strength and conditioning and a series of online exercises to develop mental toughness to maintain momentum and motivation.
With this programme we address three essential considerations :
- the need to build and maintain muscle mass
- the need for periods of rest and recovery after workouts
- the need to have high intensity intervals to build and maintain our VO2Max (our ability to use oxygen to create energy)
The programme is divided into two elements, the combination of which is unique in the market. In essence we have designed a programme that ensures that your fitness levels increase at a pace optimal your ability to recover and then adapt to increased training loads, while giving you the tools to improve your overall performance and resilience.
The programme is broken down as follows :
- The base element includes a series of tempo and higher interval efforts (either on the turbo trainer or flat to rolling roads) in your weekday rides. Note that we follow best practise from the US and GB Olympic teams, basing effort on endurance with more beneficial levels of high intensity efforts. Alongside these are longer rides at the weekend and a fasted session which will help build a strong endurance base. The training load that is applied to each workout can be adjusted to your current fitness and volume of training your lifestyle allows you to have.
- The second element is a series of strength and conditioning exercises to ensure that you build a strong foundation and hence become less prone to injury or soreness.
To begin this programme you will need the following:
- Heart rate monitor
- Strava account
- TrainingPeaks account (can be provided as a costed option)
The programme will be more enjoyable and effective if you have the following:
- Turbo trainer
- Cycle computer to follow the structured workouts while riding.
Guidance is available on the above equipment.
Before starting please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an initial consultation so that we can help you prepare for the workouts, set up, Trainingpeaks, etc.